COVID-19 (NOVEL CORONAVIRUS) // MUSEUM CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
UPDATE 23 March 2020:
The Air Force Museum and online shop is now completely closed to both visitors and staff. This closure will remain in place until we are officially advised that it is safe to reopen.
This follows the announcement today by the Prime Minister that we are moving to COVID-19 Alert level 4, meaning all non essential services must close and everyone remain at home to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus. These are exceptional times, and drastic measures, but we are all hopeful that it will mean we can return to normal life sooner.
Please note also that our remote research enquiry service and collection item donation process will be closed over this time. Our team will be working through all messages when they are able to return to their office, but there may be some additional delays while they deal with any backlogs. Your patience with this is much appreciated.
We are committed to ensuring that while our physical doors are closed, we continue to engage with our visitors online, and will be doing our best to keep sharing the stories of our Air Force, virtually. Please follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter to stay informed.
Our thoughts right now are with all those affected by this crisis, whether from the virus itself, or from the flow-on effects of closures and lockdowns.
Kia kaha, he waka eke noa - stay strong, we are all in this together.
What are we doing in response to the coronavirus situation?
- Temporary, total closure of the Museum to visitors and staff. Prior to the closure:
- Increased cleaning and surface disinfection around the Museum.
- Installation of hand sanitiser stations around the Museum, including entry and exit points.
- Increased signage around handwashing and cough etiquette.
- Cancellation, suspension, or postponement of large gatherings and events (see below).
What Museum events have been cancelled or postponed?
The following events and activities have been cancelled, suspended, or postponed to a later date (still to be confirmed):
- Free Behind the Scenes tours
- Group tour bookings
- Birthday party bookings
- Museum outreach bookings
- Education group visits
- RNZAF Anniversary Reception, 1 April
- April school holiday programme
- April school holiday group bookings
- Anzac Day service, 25 April
- Learning Days Christchurch ‘World of Flight’, 9 May
Our online Shop service is also temporarily suspended. No orders will be able to be processed until such time as staff are able to return to work. Thank you for your understanding in these exceptional circumstances.
We encourage everyone to follow the official advice from the Ministry of Health regarding social distancing, and if you have any cold or flu-like symptoms, or have returned from overseas in the past two weeks, please remain home.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO SEE
We offer a broad range of education programmes, all closely linked to and designed for the New Zealand School Curriculum.