COVID-19: The Museum is openREAD MORESkip to content
Free Admission
Open Daily 9.30am to 4.30pm

English Electric Canberra B.Mk.20


RAAF Serial no. A84-240

Manufacturer’s no. GAF.C.FF40

On display in the Aircraft Hall

English Electric Canberra B.Mk.20


The RNZAF operated 13 Canberra aircraft between 1959 and 1970. They arrived in New Zealand straight from the factory in England between October 1959 and June 1961, and were all based at Ohakea. The RNZAF Canberras saw active service in the Indonesian-Malaysian Confrontation between 1964 and 1966, operating from Singapore and Borneo. When replaced by the A-4 Skyhawk in 1970, all 13 aircraft were sold to the Indian Air Force.

A84-240 is an Australian-produced version of the B. Mk.2 and was made at the Government Aircraft Factory, Fisherman’s Bend, Melbourne. It served in Vietnam, where it suffered battle damage and was repaired at Butterworth in Northern Malaysia. A84-240 also served at Amberley and for two short terms with the Aircraft Research and Development Unit. Ceasing flying in 1982, the aircraft was placed in storage with a total of 6,515 flying hours.

With no RNZAF Canberra available to the Museum this ex-Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) aircraft was accepted for display as a type example. It was generously gifted by the RAAF to mark the 50th anniversary of the RNZAF and the opening of the Museum.

Open daily from 9.30am to 4.30pm (except Christmas Day)
Entry to the Museum is free, donations are appreciated.

45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch | 03 343 9532

We welcome visitors of all abilities