COVID-19 STATUS // MUSEUM OPEN, WITH SOME RESTRICTIONSLearn more Skip to content
Free Admission
Open Daily 10am to 4pm

Lockheed Hudson MkIII

Specifications

RNZAF serial no. NZ2013

Ex-RAF serial no. V9241

Manufacturer's no. 3826

 

On display in the Aircraft Hall

Lockheed-Hudson-MKIII_AFMWeb

Overview

The RNZAF received 94 Hudsons in 1941-42 as part of measures to counter the threat of German raiders around the New Zealand coastline. Subsequently they formed a major part of the RNZAF's operational capabilities to counter the threat from Japanese forces. The Hudsons were operated by Nos. 1,2,3,4 and 9 Squadron in the maritime search and strike operation roles until their replacement in 1943-44 by the more powerful Lockheed Ventura.

NZ2013 was manufactured in 1941 by the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank, California. It was part of a diverted Royal Air Force order and was shipped directly to Auckland from Los Angeles. It entered service on 18 September 1941 with No. 1 Squadron at Whenuapai.

NZ2013 later served with No. 4 Squadron in Fiji. It also served briefly in New
Caledonia in August/September 1942. The aircraft suffered a major accident in Fiji in early 1942 and was out of commission for several months. NZ2013 returned to New Zealand in July 1944, attached to the School of Navigation and Reconnaissance at New Plymouth. After the War, the School moved to Wigram, where the aircraft continued in service until July 1948. It was sold to Mr Clarke of Oamaru in May 1949, and was used as a shed and chicken coop on his farm until being purchased by the RNZAF Museum Trust Board and No. 26 Squadron Air Training Corps in 1985.

NZ2013 then underwent nine years of restoration work by the Museum’s Technical Team, before finally going on display in 1996. It is finished in the colour scheme that it would have worn when serving with No. 4 Squadron in Fiji in 1943-44.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE TO SEE

Checketts Engine
Johnny Checketts’ Spitfire Engine

Learn more about the remarkable tale of how Kiwi fighter ace Johnny Checketts’ wartime crash site was rediscovered.

AFM
Reserve Collection

The Reserve Collection space, accessible on our free guided tours, is where you will encounter our aircraft, vehicles and engines currently in storage.

Aircraft-Hall_Heading
Aircraft Hall

Originally built as an aircraft hangar during World War Two, the Aircraft Hall is home to 13 stunning vintage aircraft, all displayed under theatrical lighting.

Open daily from 10am to 4pm (except Christmas Day)
Entry to the Museum is free, donations are appreciated.

45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch | 03 343 9532

We welcome visitors of all abilities

black-stripe
afm-roundel