Skip to content
Free Admission
Open Daily 10am to 5pm

Remembering the Kiwis of the Great Escape

On the night of 24 March 1944, the largest prisoner of war (POW) breakout ever attempted occurred at Stalag Luft III, a German camp for captured Allied airmen. Having taken over 750 men more than a year to prepare, this ‘Great Escape’ was unprecedented in its organisation and scale, but also in its tragedy.

Great Escape tunnels

Artwork depicting the tunnel system used in the Great Escape from Stalag Luft III, March 1944. From the collection of the Air Force Museum of New Zealand.

The subject of books, films (including the famous 1963 Hollywood version featuring Steve McQueen), and countless documentaries, the Great Escape is one of the most well-known events of World War Two. As we mark the 75th anniversary, it’s timely to remember that, among the 76 airmen who escaped through the tunnel that night, were five Kiwis, including RNZAF VC winner, Leonard Trent.

Leonard Trent

Squadron Leader Leonard Trent DFC (later VC). Image ref MUS0800517 ©Air Force Museum of New Zealand

Trent VC


Leonard Trent's Victoria Cross, now in the collection of the Air Force Museum of New Zealand.

Amsterdam Raid

Painting by Colin Pattle, depicting Leonard Trent’s Ventura being attacked by German fighters during the Amsterdam Raid, 3 May 1943. From the collection of the Air Force Museum of New Zealand.

Squadron Leader Trent had been shot down and captured after leading a relentless, yet ultimately, disastrous daylight bombing raid on 3 May 1943. He received the VC for this action, but only discovered this after spending the rest of the War as a POW. An inmate of Stalag Luft III, Trent was one of 240 men initially selected to make the escape. He was the 79th to pass through the narrow, hand-dug tunnel, following fellow New Zealander Flight Lieutenant Michael (Mick) Shand. Shand managed to escape into the nearby forest, before being captured by the Gestapo a few days later and brought back to camp.

Stalag Luft III

Prisoners of War being marched around a compound at Stalag Luft III, Sagan, Germany (now Poland). Image ref MUS990199 ©Air Force Museum of New Zealand

Trent, meanwhile, experienced the end of the Great Escape first-hand. One of the last prisoners to clear the tunnel, he was lying on his stomach in freezing snow when a German guard approached. Not noticing Trent in the darkness, the guard was about to relieve himself when he spotted the tunnel in front of him. He let off a signal shot with his rifle and Trent immediately leapt up shouting ‘Nicht schießen!’ (‘Don’t shoot!’). He was captured on the spot, and taken back inside the camp gates, where he was sentenced to three weeks’ solitary confinement on starvation rations.

John Williams

Squadron Leader John Williams DFC. Portrait from the 'Weekly News', 28 June 1944, page 22. Image ref MUS1301216 ©Air Force Museum of New Zealand

Arnold Christensen

Flight Lieutenant Arnold Christensen, portrait from the 'Weekly News', 5 July 1944, page 22. Image ref MUS1002516 ©Air Force Museum of New Zealand

Johnny Pohe

Sergeant (later, Flying Officer) Johnny Pohe mid. From the collection of the Air Force Museum of New Zealand.

Meanwhile, Flight Lieutenant Arnold Christensen, Flying Officer Porokoru (Johnny) Pohe and Squadron Leader John Williams DFC, had all escaped before Trent, and managed to evade capture for several days before being discovered and arrested south of the camp. These three young New Zealanders were among the 50 Allied airmen shot by the Gestapo following the escape. Their names are etched on the Roll of Honour at the Air Force Museum of New Zealand.

Johnny Pohe_Roll of Honour (Web)

We will remember them: Flying Officer Johnny Pohe’s name etched on the Roll of Honour at the Air Force Museum of New Zealand. Pohe, a former bomber pilot, was one of three New Zealanders executed by the Gestapo for their role in the Great Escape.


Still life featuring a negative, light meter, gloves and a magnifier. Air Force museum of New Zealand.

Air Force Museum Photo Archives go online

1996-058.1_p3 (1)_Underwood typewriter

The ‘Bougainville Typewriter’ – Bill Williamson’s trusted companion

Unknown civilian man holding a pigeon. England. Original caption reads: "British Official Photograph CH5011. How 'Winkie' an RAF Pigeon Helped Save the Crew of a Derelict 'Beaufort' The crew of four of a 'Beaufort' aircraft of Coastal Command, RAF, forced down into the North Sea owe their rescue partly to a pigeon known as 'Winkie' one of two pigeons carried. When the aircraft was forced down the Wireless operator got out the tin pigeon container. 'Winkie' had broken out; the other, sent off with a message attached, failed to report. The base aerodrome picked up a weak call sign giving a vague indication of the position of the crew in their dinghy - the aircraft having sunk very quickly - but the arrival at her loft of 'Winkie', wet and oil clogged after a 100 mile flight in bad weather, enabled calculations to be made which narrowed considerably the area of search. The crew were eventually located and taken aboard by an RAF high speed launch. The RAF pigeon 'Winkie', which flew a hundred miles in bad weather back to its loft, this materially aiding the rescue of the 'Beaufort' crew. See Air Ministry Bulletin 6428."

Messenger Pigeons of World War Two

Open daily from 10am to 5pm (except Christmas Day)
Entry to the Museum is free, donations are appreciated.

45 Harvard Ave, Wigram, Christchurch | 03 343 9532

We welcome visitors of all abilities