School Holiday Programme
Our flexible OSCAR-approved holiday programme is filled with adventures!
- A new adventure-based theme each school holiday
- Daily games and special missions
- Fun art and craft activities
- Indoor and outdoor active play
- Fully-supervised by our trained and certified Visitor Hosts
- Flexible dates – join us for a day or two, or the entire school holidays!
July school holiday programme: 'Helicopter Heroes'
All things Helicopter!
Who needs wings to fly! Join us as we explore the world of helicopter heroes at the AFM OSCAR-approved July holiday programme. Some of the activities you will be tasked with are: airlift troops to safety in a daring mountain rescue; construct rubber band helicopters; carry out a deep-sea submarine exercise; and build model working winches.
Alongside our special themed activities and missions, this fully supervised programme will include our regular favourites, such as ‘Prison Guard’ (hide and seek), art and craft activities, and games. Children are also welcome to use any equipment, games or construction materials for engaged free time in the afternoons.
Please note that our activities may vary slightly depending on the weather, and any unforeseen circumstances that may occur on the day.
Dates: Monday 12 July – Friday 16 July;
Monday 19 July - Friday 23 July*
*Note: The programme does not run on Helicopter Fun Day (21 July). We encourage you to join us on this day!
Hours: 8.00am – 3.00pm (drop-offs between 8.00am and 8.45am)
Ages: 5-12 years
Cost: $38 per day (10% discount for 5 or more days booked per holiday period)
Limited to 30 spaces each day, so book in early to secure your place!
We are an accredited Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) provider. Please contact the Visitor Hosts directly to arrange an OSCAR subsidy, no later than two weeks before the start of the holiday period.
These fun activities await
All activities below will also be followed by a fun afternoon activity!
- Monday – Floods, Hurricanes & Volcanoes. We need your help! A tornado has hit one of the Pacific Islands and it’s all hands on deck to deliver much needed supplies. Afternoon arts and craft: Peg Helicopters
- Tuesday – Perfect Storm. Mayday! Mayday! Mayday! Join the ranks of helicopter rescue as we race to save ships in distress in New Zealand’s Maritime area. Afternoon arts and craft: Match Stick Helicopters
- Wednesday – Sonar Submarine Exercise. The hunt for submarines in New Zealand waters is on. Join the team to identify who, what, and where those pesky subs are hiding. Afternoon arts and craft: Chimes
- Thursday – Wigram Choppers. Screw, bolt, rivet, and frame. Roll up your sleeves, clear your mind and get ready for helicopter construction at the Air Force Museum construction yards. Afternoon arts and craft: Helicopter aircrew vests
- Friday – Eye in the Sky. All hands on deck … or is it all eyes in the sky! Bring along your top-notch map-reading skills, and your 20-20 vision for an important Alpine Surveillance task. Afternoon activity: Movie
- Monday – High on a Hill. Helicopter Mountain rescue. Mountains can be pretty, but dangerous! And not everyone is as sure footed as a mountain goat. Wrap up warm, this one going to be cold. Afternoon arts and craft: Mini helicopter winches
- Tuesday – Fish ‘n Ships. Help out the RNZAF Transport Command by dropping supplies to the Museum through a relay race with a twist. Afternoon arts and craft: Fish Painting
- Wednesday - Unfortunately we will not be running a programme on this day. We encourage you to come in with your children and enjoy our Helicopter Fun Day.
- Thursday – Monsoon Buckets & Hueys. Monsoon season has come early. Help us dampen down hot spots with our trusty Huey (Iroquois) helicopter. Afternoon arts and craft: Prop spinners
- Friday – Scourge of the Seven Seas. It’s not international talk like a pirate day. These buccaneers are very real and have moved on from peg legs and parrots called Captain Flint. Join the coalition forces and send these cut throats to the briny deep. Afternoon Activity: movie