(Manufacturer's no. 3826; ex-RAF V9241)
The RNZAF received 94 Hudsons in 1941-42 as part of measures to counter the threat of German raiders around the New Zealand coastline. Subsequently they formed a major part of the RNZAF's operational capabilities to counter the Japanese threat. They were operated by No.1,2,3,4 and 9 Squadrons until replaced in 1943-44 by the more powerful Lockheed Venturas. The Hudson performed the roles of maritime search and strike operations.
NZ2013 was manufactured in 1941 by the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation at Burbank, California. It was part of a diverted RAF order and was shipped directly to Auckland from Los Angeles. It was brought on charge 18 September 1941 and was issued to No. 1 Squadron at Whenuapai following assembly at Hobsonville.
The aircraft later served with No. 4 Squadron, Fiji. It also served briefly in New Caledonia in August/September 1942. The aircraft suffered a major accident in Fiji in early 1942 and was out of commission for several months. NZ2013 returned to New Zealand in July 1944 and served with the School of Navigation and Reconnaissance at New Plymouth. After the War, the School moved to Wigram where the aircraft continued to serve until July 1948. It was then sold to Mr Clarke of Oamaru on 2 May 1949. It was used as a shed and chicken coop on Mr Clarke's farm until being purchased by the Museum Trust Board and No. 26 Squadron, Air Training Corps in 1985.
Restoration of this aircraft was completed by the Museum in July 1996 and it is finished in the colour scheme that it would have been in when serving with No. 4 Squadron in Fiji in 1943-44. This aircraft is on display in the Aircraft Hall.